Clearing A Space Protocol
The First Step of Focusing
as developed by Eugene T. Gendlin, Ph.D., author of Focusing-Oriented
See also Clearing A Space
- Put your attention in the torso area of your body. Ask yourself, "HOW
AM I RIGHT NOW?" or "WHAT'S IN THE WAY OF FEELING FINE?"
Don't answer, but let what comes in your body do the answering. Wait for a
FELT SENSE of a concern to form.
- Find a HANDLE for the FELT SENSE - a word, phrase, or image that captures
the quality of how the concern feels in your body.
- RESONATE - say the HANDLE to yourself and check to see if it fits the felt
- Give this concern your accepting attention for a few moments, but then put
it aside for awhile by imaging placing the FELT SENSE outside your body in a
- REPEAT steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 again until each concern that your body is
carrying in this moment has been placed outside your body.
- Now bring your attention back inside your body and experience a FELT SENSE
of feeling all fine, a CLEARED space that opens up to you.
- WELCOME this place, find a HANDLE for this space, RESONATE, WAIT, and see
For more on Focusing go to http://www.focusing.org/